Hot, delicious and very unique. One of the most well known rocoto dishes in Peru is the rocoto relleno. This is a traditional entree from the Andean city of Arequipa, made with rocoto (chili pepper). Besides the meat, it can be stuffed with many another ingredients. As for the ideal stuffing, this beef mix contains beef, pork, onion, garlics, margarine (or butter), cream, peacans and it will be a heaven meal.
- 7 rocotos with a wide base
- 3/4 cup of red vinegar
- 200 g (1/2 lb) of ground beef
- 100 g (1/4 lb) of ground pork
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 1/2 glass of dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons of cream
- 1/4 cup of ground peacans
- 1/2 cup of beef stock
- 1 tablespoon of aji panca paste
- 6 small potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, ground
- 1/4 cup or margarine or butter
- 1/2 tablespoon of flour
- 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
- The Rocotos (Chili Pepper): In the first place, cut the upper part of 7 rocotos as a lid. It’s extremely important to take out all the seeds and to clean it. Cook in water with salt and vinegar. Repeat this process four times.
- Prepare the stuffing: Make a seasoning in a frying pan with the margarine, the ground garlics and onion. Once you do this, add the aji panca paste.
- Then, you must season the meats with salt and pepper and add them to the seasoning. Mix good. Chop the remaining rocoto (in very small pieces) and add it with the peacans and the flour. Mix again. Wait some moments and add the stock and cream. Mix and take out from the flame. Using hot oil, fry the chopped garlic in olive oil, add the tomato sauce and the wine. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now, stuff the rocotos with the meat mix. It’s mandatory to be gentle in order to keep the rocotos intact.
- Spread tomato sauce on a tray and place the stuffed rocotos and the potatoes. Cover them with parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- You are almost done! Bake to 350º F (150º C) until the cheeses get melt. Serve immediately with white baked potatos and salad if you feel like.