- Servings- 6
- Prep time- 1.5 hours
- 5lb of large shrimp (prepare the shrimp pealing and deveining.)
- ¾ cup of your favorite vegetable oil.
- 2 large onions (prepare the onions by chopping them)
- 5 tomatoes (prepare the tomatoes by peeling, seeding and chopping)
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup.
- 6 tablespoons of aji panca (sundried re aji chili) paste
- 2lbs of fava beans.
- 2lbs of peas
- 14 potatoes (if yellow flesh potatoes are available those are the best with this recipe)
- 3 ears of corn (prepare the corn by cutting into slices 2 inches thick)
- 1 ½ cup of white rice.
- 1 full cup of evaporated milk.
- ¾ cup of fresh farmers cheese
- 12 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of garlic (prepare the garlic by crushing it)
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- Salt and Pepper
For the Salsa de Rocoto you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 rocotos/red hot peppers
- ½ cup of oil
- 1 onion. (prepare onion by chopping)
- ½ cup of fresh farmers cheese.
- In a large pan pan put 26 cups of water, along with salt and then bring the water to a boil. Place the heads and the skins from the shrimp into the pan and continue to cook with the pan uncovered for approximately 45 minutes. Then strain the contents and save the stock.
- Saute the onion, tomato and garlic in a large saucepan. Then add the ketchup to the pan along with the red hot pepper paste, salt and pepper, cumin and the shrimp corales. For ten minutes you will want to continue to cook all the ingredients all while stirring frequently.
- Add stock from the shrimp and boil for 15 minutes. Then set the stock aside.
- Cook the peeled potatoes in a medium size pan. Cook with salt in either a double boiler or with a small amount of water.
- 45 minutes prior to serving this dish add the rice, peas, fava beans and corn to the boiling stock.
- In a medium skillet put two cups of chupe and bring it to a simmer. Then cook the poached eggs and set the eggs aside.
- Add the shrimp tails, whole shrimps, evaporated milk and oregano to the mix once the rice is cooked. Continue to cook until all of the shrimp turn pink.
- Place cheese and a potato in a soup bowl. Pour soup in the bowl and then put a poached egg and a whole shrimp on top.
- Serve the dish with red hot pepper.
Salsa de Rocoto/red pepper sauce preparation:
- Cut the rocotos in half. Then seed and devein all of the rocoto. Wash the rocotos by rubbing them against one another (make sure to wear gloves when doing this). Then soak the rocoto in water for 8 hours. You will want to change the water every hour. Place the rocotos in pan and boil 3 times changing the water each time you boil them.
- Mix the rocotos with oil, onion, cheese and salt and blend all the ingredients.